Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Seating For 6 in A Small Kitchen Nook

Not too long ago I turned our Dining Room/ Area into a Music Room/ Office/ Guest Room/ Mud Room so that left no room for a dining table.  What is a family of 6 supposed to do when we want to eat?  I tossed around the idea of tv trays or a folding table, but didn't like that it was too casual. Someone was bound to turn the TV on and there would be no conversation.  I don't like that!

I had already built a tiny table using 1 x 8 boards and Ikea legs for the kids to eat in the kitchen.  I really wanted benches, but my nook has 2 uneven sides since there is a doorway on one side.  I thought about building in a banquette, but one side has a cabinet that I need to get access to.  Well, building my own benches was the answer.  I found this super simple bench on Ana White and decided to go for it, tweaking the dimensions so I could have custom sizes.  

ana white super simple bench

Then I expanded on the existing table by adding 3 more 1 x 8 boards.  Now the trick to this table was that I attached it to the wall using shelf brackets.   It made it much more solid.   I moved around the legs a bit on the original table for better support.

Here's the final product.

Dining table with Ikea Legs
 I painted the chairs the same color as the bench using a custom chalk paint I mixed up at the last minute.  I was too cheap and lazy to go to the paint store.  The vinyl on the seats used to be black, but I spray painted them white using plastic spray paint.  (Seems to be holding up well.)

bentwood chairs

Aqua Homemade Chalk Paint



Wall Mounted Kitchen Table

Now I'm able to put the 6 year olds on the small bench, my husband and I on the larger bench, and the teenage boys on the chairs.

If we have a dinner party I just pull out a folding table with and put a bunch of chairs around it in the living room or dining room.  Works like a charm.



mONICa

1 comment:



  1. شركة جبس بالرياض
    سحر اللمسات افضل شركة جبس بورد بالرياض وتعمل في مجال الديكورات الجبسيه في الرياض ولديها افضل
    وتعمل جميع أنواع جبس بورد الرياض ولديه فروف في أفضلشركة تنسيق حدائق بالرياض ومن أفضل شركات
    واحدة من الشركات الرائدة في مجال تصميبم الديكــــــــــــور الداخلي في مدينة الرياض, شركة ديكور بالرياض متخصصة في تقديم أضخم خطط المشاريع وخدمات شركة دهان بالرياض تك
    للاتصال0500958844 0500958844

    ReplyDelete