Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Dress Up A Corner Window With A Wood Cornice Valance

Ok so I've finished my stencil wall and now I am on to dressing up the windows. I've decided to make a corner cornice to frame the window. This is how I did it .

TOOLS NEEDED- Saw-Long level-Measuring tape- Drill- Hammer-Putty &putty knife-Sandpaper-L-brackets. ( I used two types, wider ones for the structure of the cornice  and a narrower type for wall backers)Primer-Paint-Nails-Screws.

(some tools needed are shown below)

wood valance

Now for the construction.

First I measured the window length and depth I wanted on each wall. Next, I purchased inexpensive pine wood boards, you will need one board for the face/front and one for the top of each cornice. I used a 1x8 for the face and a 1x6 for the top and for the sides I used left over 1x8's. so when you purchase your boards don't forget you need extra for two side boards, each cornice has one side board.

HELPFUL HINT-( although it says its a 1x6 or a 1x8 in actuality it really measures a 1/2 inch shorter. so don't get worried if you come home and measure…I don't know why they do that but it's important to know when you are doing a project that needs cutting etc, I just thought i'd let you know about this. I learned about that the hard way ;()

I used pine wood that has knots.I puttied the knots so that they don't show through after painting. I then sanded the dry putty areas and the rough cut edges. I next primed and painted the boards. I did this step after the cornice was assembled but before I put it up on my wall, however you can do this before assembling if you like.

Now onto the work

Ok, my cornice is cornered so, my top 1x6 board on the biggest window measured all the way from the one side of one window to the wall at the other end, however since the face part of the board was going to bud up to the cornered of the other/second cornice it would need to be shorter than the top board that go's all the way to the wall. This measurement size is the width of the top board of the second cornice, just subtract that width from the length you made for your top board on your first cornice and cut your face board length that size. (-see picture # 4)

Ok now you should have two boards the top longer board and the slightly shorter face board.

Now you need to connect the top board to the face board. I used L- brackets to do this. I made pilot holes first with my drill then I screwed in the backers to connected the top board to the bottom. I connected the side boards the same way. I also put small nails along the edges of the cornice where the two board connect in order to add strength. ( keep in mind that you will also be using L-brackets to connect the entire cornice to the wall. I placed these brackets on each side of the window because there are wood studs in the wall there to screw your brackets to. This way your cornice will be very secure. Don't screw any other bracket in this spot of your cornice, reserve it for your wall brackets.

cornice window treatment

corner wood cornice valance

Next measure out the cornice of your other /second window. This cornice top and face will butt onto your first cornice and not to the wall corner, so once again the top board and the face board will be different lengths. Proceed as with the first cornice.

wood window valance

Now that both cornice's are made you can  connect the two cornice's together by bracing only the two face boards of each cornice's where they meet with an L-brace on the inside unseen part of the corner.

Next you will screw the wall braces to the wall at whatever height you want your cornices to be. I suggest placing one bracket  on each side of the window. You can add more if your window is extra wide. Make sure you are screwing into wood. Usually each side of the window has wood studs there.(if you're not screwing into wood use the appropriate anchors for strength. When placing your braces use a long level to make sure all are level to each other.

Now that your braces are on the wall have someone help you lift the cornice up and place it on top of the wall brackets. Next screw in the cornice to the brackets from underneath the cornice.

Thats it! and it's even simpler when doing straight windows that are not cornered.

This room is a work in progress. I will be sharing the completed window treatment once the curtains go up...I have't decide how I want to go with that yet.

window treatmentxo,

eLAINe

No comments:

Post a Comment